Monday, March 25, 2013

Suffering In 'Silence'


Are right and wrong absolute, or is it relative to a) who is committing the act, or b) who is adversely affected by it?

Imagine this now: You are upset because some company has screwed you royally out of what is rightfully yours. (So it feels to you.) So you ring them up and complain to the customer service rep. As you are detailing your grievances you hear someone laughing like a hyena in the background. (This is not a cliche; this guy's laugh really does sound like the beast.) Now as that customer, would you take this company seriously? You might, if you could make out what the rep was telling you, but now there is squealing and hooting on the other end that sounds like something out of an American Idol audience. Would this improve your already boiling-point temper?

This is what I have to deal with at work as that rep. Our company values team morale very highly (as they should), awarding prizes to top performers. Understandably, there is much rejoicing when the winners are announced. Unfortunately, said jollity takes place while other reps are still taking calls.

(Worse, there seems to be some sort of custom that when one group of reps applauds, the entire floor feels the need to participate, not so much out of  camaraderie, but more to relieve the boredom. It wouldn't be so bad if this was mere clapping, but many feel it necessary to smack their palms together as hard as possible like they were hailing a ride.)

So why not tell 'em to shut the hell up, I can barely hear the profanity this customer is hurling at me? In truth, I did that once. The silence lasted until the end of the day, but the next day, it was back to normal.

Bring this up to management? Well, there are two things wrong with that. First, I fear that I will simply come across as the grouchy old fart who wants to spoil everyone's fun. Secondly, the team leaders (who you'd think would know better) are often in the middle of the tumult, contributing to the squealing, guffawing and yelling. We have a Manager who tells reps to quiet down, but she herself cackles madly and yells at us in this palengkera shriek.

So going back to the original question: Is professionalism at the workplace relative? Does it matter if it is the professionalism of a 25-year-old supervisor or a grunt representative?

My job performance relies on the evaluation of out Quality Assurance department. Well, what if one day other agents suddenly gets tired of the perpetually complaining curmudgeon and takes his QA auditor aside for a few words?. I'm just saying.

So am I the only one affected by all this? I think not. One other agent told me she was glad I yelled out. She had wanted to do the same herself when her customer complained about the racket.  So I'm certain there are others too who choose to say nothing, either because out of pakikisama or because they see that their superiors are involved, and that their job security may be imperiled.

(In my last job, there was a rumor - just that - going around that there were such 'assassins' in QA.)

It is my belief that the Pinoy employee has no concept of 'inside voice'. I've had many a customer complain about the noise. That is the point I hit the 'Mute' button and holler at those concerned. I imagine other agents just rattle off the formulaic and insincere: I do apologize for that.

Yes, it's more fun in the Philippines. Even when one should be getting serious work done.

Vox populi indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment